In 2014, The Lenox Club celebrated its 150th Anniversary. As part of the festivities, members Richard Jackson and Cornelia Gilder, well-known local writers, wrote a book on the Club, which was published in paperback and hardcopy.
The Lenox Club is the only private social club in the Berkshires of Massachusetts. It was founded in 1864 and later incorporated as a Reading Club (for gentlemen) in 1874. The original clubhouse, with a smaller cottage, was located in the center of the village where the Lenox Community Center now stands and served as a gentlemen’s club in the country similar to those in the city. The Club had a felicitous reputation among the so-called ‘Cottagers’ who owned large estates in the area during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Later in the century to increase the popularity of the original club a nine-hole private golf course on the western edge of Lenox belonging to Dr. John C. Greenleaf was leased for use by the members.